Saturday, December 12, 2009

homeward bound

Fall semester is coming to a close. Only two days and three finals remain. Leaves have fallen and friends have already left. Right now I'm sitting in Bongo Java sharing a big table with two strangers. I like that. Nashville is a friendly town, and I'm going to miss it for the next month... as excited as I am to go home, I'm a bit sad that I'll be gone. Where in Dallas will I be handed a cup of pure joy and happiness when I ask for a cup of coffee?

I've resolved to not have a "set of mugs" when I have my own home.
They will all be different flavors of quirk.

A couple weeks ago I returned home for Thanksgiving. It was a jolly ole time--I got to see my family and friends I hadn't seen in months. Over the break, though, I realized how lucky I was at Belmont. Back home in Texas (!), I missed everyone that I had gotten used to seeing everyday on campus. The funny thing is we all found ourselves late night video-chatting on the eve of Thanksgiving... it wasn't planned, and the conversation wasn't particularly exciting, but it was, well, just nice.

When I began the trek to Nashville in August, the idea of college was daunting. The relationships I had formed over the past 18 years at home would never be the same. All of us would be making new friends and starting new lives. I questioned whether I would be able to find people that I could relate to at this new place.

The whole "friend" thing was a total whirlwind. I suddenly found myself surrounded by people that I felt like I had known for months, or even years. This semester definitely has not been about academics for me - it's been about relationships. Whenever you hear someone say that college was the best time of their lives, they aren't talking about the hours they spent in the library pulling all-nighters for finals. They're talking about the countless hours they spent with friends. The idea of college is crazy: it's a time where we get to live with and be surrounded by all of our friends 24/7. I expect to take a lot more away from the life experiences I have while in college than the classes I study for.

I'm thankful for every single person that has been brought into my life as my time at Belmont has just begun. I could list a million different reasons why I love each and every person. You all BML.
Cause I like where I’m livin’...
And I like what I do...
And I like what I’m seein’...
When I’m lookin’ at you...
I still like what I’m saying...
When I open my face.
I think I got the right feeling.
I think I’m in the right place.
I think I got the right feeling.
I think I’m in the right place.
-The Right Place by Monsters of Folk

I love you all, have a very Merry Christmas, and I'll miss everyone! Dallasites - I very much look forward to spending time with you all. Now it's time for me to study for those finals...

xx

annetelope

No comments:

Post a Comment